The library wishes to maintain a safe, comfortable environment for all users.
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
Be respectful of all library property. Damaging, defacing, or misusing library materials, equipment, or facilities is not allowed.
Treat others and their property with respect.
The library is not responsible for personal belongings.
Shoes and shirts must be worn in the building at all times. Hoods, hats, and jackets are to be removed upon request of the library staff.
If a patron’s lack of personal hygiene is a nuisance to others, the patron will be asked to leave the building.
The library reserves the right to prohibit food and drink within the building.
Parking areas, sidewalks, and lawns should be used safely and for their intended purposes. Vehicles parked improperly are subject to being towed at the owner’s expense.
Noise and activity should be kept at a level that does not disturb others. The use of cell phones and other audible electronic devices is limited to the front and side foyers, or outside the building. Please place your equipment in silent/vibrate mode while in the building.
The following are prohibited:
- Offensive language, behavior, or any form of verbal or physical abuse.
- Smoking, consumption of alcoholic beverages, intoxication, possession of drugs and /or paraphernalia.
- Intentionally damaging, destroying, or stealing property.
- Public urination and defecation.
- Bicycling, roller skating, rollerblading, skateboarding, and heelies. Bicycles are not to be brought into the building.
- Solicitation. This includes, but is not limited to posting notices without prior staff approval, petitioning on library property, and photographing or videotaping within the library without permission.
- Sleeping in the library.
- Animals, except for service animals.
- Moving library furniture or equipment without permission.
- Shaving, bathing, or laundering clothes in public restrooms.
- Sexual activity, sexual harassment, or indecent exposure.
- All conduct that is disruptive.
Any staff member who is aware that a patron is not adhering to this policy will speak to the patron. If the behavior does not improve, the offender will be asked to leave the library. If the offender does not comply, the East Hartford Police will be called. Violations of our policy may require temporary removal or permanent ban of the offender from the library. Patrons are urged to report inappropriate behavior immediately so that staff may take appropriate action.